An Expressive Double Filter Fuzz
What does “expressive double filter fuzz” even mean? Well, there are two filters pushed by a fuzz that opens up to more control via an expression pedal jack.
PRE (P) controls the amount of FUZZ pushing into the filters. More volume pushes the filters to open up faster.
FILTER 1 sweeps the first filter from a gulpy, swallowed up sound to a fly buzzing in your brain grind. You can turn this filter OFF via the TOGGLE, allowing the FUZZ to hit FILTER 2 unobstructed.
FILTER 2 (F2) sweeps an envelope filter. As one moves the F2 pot clockwise, he/she/they can hear the “vocal/vowel quality” of the filter change. With more volume from PRE, the envelope opens faster.
VOLUME (V) controls the output level.
When the left MOMENTARY FOOTSWITCH is fully depressed and held down, the frequency range of the envelope filter (F2) immediately changes. Think of a wah going from toe-down to heel-up via a footswitch.
The EXPRESSION PEDAL overtakes the PRE (P) pot and allows one to control how much fuzz hits the filters. Almost turns the pedal into a wah that changes the vocal quality and funk/feel of the overall sound. Get weird with it!
The Electronic Audio Experiments Hypersleep is a solid-state analog reverberator. It evokes the immediate acoustic reflections of metal and tile, but with a darker timbre and a ringing, fluttering decay—forgoing epic atmospherics in favor of liminality.
At the heart of the Hypersleep is the unusual and obsolete MN3011 bucket brigade device. Unlike other BBDs with one input and one output, the MN3011 uses an array of staggered delay outputs to produce a smeared-out echo. Feeding this echo back upon itself produces a reverberant texture. The reverb length can be modulated via the onboard LFO for atypical chorus and vibrato effects, or the haunting sound of a room changing size in real time. As always, careful signal conditioning ensures that Hypersleep is friendly to any instrument or line level signal source.
Level – overall effect level, gracefully overloads at higher settings (Note: labeled as Drive on some units)
Space – delay time of the BBD, simultaneously controlling six taps on a single delay line
Mix – blend of clean and effected signals, from full dry to full wet
Feedback – increases the decay time of the reverb, will self-oscillate at extreme settings
Rate – modulation rate, from imperceptibly slow to nearly audio rates
Depth – modulation depth, from subtle vibrato to warped pitch bending
Additional features include buffered bypass soft-touch relay switching, 9V center negative power (180mA current draw), top-mounted jacks.
All Hypersleep units carry a lifetime warranty tied to the original owner.
Bypass: Relay switching with FET-input op amp bypass buffer
We recommend a regulated, isolated power supply rated for 200mA minimum. Our pedals do not accept batteries. Use of an incorrect power supply may cause permanent damage.
- Sales Tax Holiday 2020
Saturday August 29th & Sunday August 20th is a Sales Tax Holiday in Massachusetts!
It just so happens we have a whole lot of effects available should you want to pick-up some new sounds.
- Remote Consultations
Are you ready t0 discover your new favorite pedal? Until we can safely meet-up in person let’s meet online to help you find your sound.
- Don’t have the words, can’t stay silent
We have been reflecting on ways we can be allies, be supportive and bring about positive change. We will be listening, learning, finding creative ways to help. We will be supporting artists and organizations committed to equality and ending injustice.
We recently saw this 2015 video for “Cry No More.” Was transfixed the the entire time. A powerful performance. The words Rhiannon Giddens wrote on her YouTube page from 2015 are just as relevant today as they were then.
“The massacre at the Emanuel AME church in Charleston, South Carolina, in June is just the latest in a string of racially charged events that have broken my heart. There are a lot of things to fix in this world, but history says if we don’t address this canker, centuries in the making, these things will continue to happen. No matter what level privilege you have, when the system is broken everybody loses. We all have to speak up when injustice happens. No matter what. And music is one of the best way I know to do so.”
Directed by Harvey K Robinson Filmed at United Congregational Church in Greensboro, NC
- Family Photo
Assembling the perfect pedal board is kind of like forming Voltron. You take these disparate elements and create a mighty, cat-robot defender of the galaxy. Or something like that.
I thought, hey! I have some S+K and some EAE and Voltron. So here is a little family photo of those guys and related builders, Fuzzrocious and Nerd Knuckle. Friends that often collaborate with John & Scot. All of whom we here at SBS have massive respect for.
The effects pictured here are for sale (Sorry, but Mr. V. is not.). Send us an email for details.
- In Stock, Ready To Ship
Hope everyone is hanging in there, staying home as much as possible and escaping into creative realms as needed.
We aren’t usually known for online sales but given the state of things we’re gonna give it a go. Here is a mostly complete least of our available inventory. We can arrange local pick-up/delivery or domestic shipping through USPS Priority mail.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in purchasing.
Check back as we will update this list with additional items/links or to remove things as they sell.
Now go forth, to create inspiring world’s of sound.
- Aalberg Ekko Delay
- Aalberg ROM Reverb
- Aalberg Aero bluetooth controller ( for Ekko & ROM)
- Adventure Audio Again Delay
- Blackarts Toneworks Black Sheep Bee-Baa Style Fuzz
- Blackarts Toneworks Pharaoh Supreme Ultimate Muff Fuzz
- Blackout Effectors Cadavernous V2 Reverb
- Boss Space Echo RE-20 “Tape Delay”
- Catalinbread Bicycle Delay
- Catalinbread Echorec tape style delay
- Catalinbread SFT Overdrive (Ampeg V4-esque)
- Coppersound Broadway Treble Booster & Germanium Preamp
- Coppersound Deadalus Reverb
- Coppersound Gravity Bomb Boost
- Coppersound Loma Prieta Tremolo
- Coppersound Telegraph Stutter w/ polarity switch Seafoam Green
- Demedash 112+ Overdrive
- Dusky Hypatia Distortion/Fuzz
- Dwarfcraft Wizard of Pitch
- EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath V2 Otherworldly Reverb
- EarthQuaker Devices Afterneath V3 Otherworldly Reverb
- EarthQuaker Devices Avalanche Run V2 Delay & Reverb
- EarthQuaker Devices Dirt Transmitter Fuzz
- EarthQuaker Devices Hoof Hybrid Fuzz
- EarthQuaker Devices Life Pedal
- EarthQuaker Devices Rainbow Machine pink & white
- EarthQuaker Devices Plumes
- EarthQuaker Devices Sea Machine
- Electro-Harmonix Mel9 Mellotron emulator
- Electronic Audio Experiments Halberd
- Electronic Audio Experiments Model fEt
- Electronic Audio Experiments/Fuzzrocious Wicked Jawn (Octave/OD)
- Empress Reverb
- Empress Tremolo2
- Fuzzrocious Cat King Distortion
- Fuzzrocious Feed Me
- Fuzzrocious M.O.T.H.
- Gamechanger Plus Sustain Pedal
- Keeley Electronics Delay Workstation
- Lone Wolf Audio Backhand Reverb (Ampeg V4 inspired)
- Maxon AD-9 Pro Analog Delay
- Maxon AD-10 Bucket Brigade Analog Delay
- Maxon CP-101 Compressor
- Maxon GE-601 Graphic Eq
- Maxon Hybrid Bassdriver
- Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion
- Meris Ottobit Jr
- Meris Mercury 7
- Mid-fi Electronics Country Fuzz
- Mid-fi Electronics Electric Yggdrasil Vibrato
- Mr Black Deluxe Plus+ Spring Reverb & Harmonic-Vibrato
- Mr Black Eterna Shimmering Reverb
- Mr Black Mini Chorus
- Mr Black Mini Octave
- Mr Black Twin Lazers
- Mr Black Shepard’s End Flanger
- Nerdknuckle Effects BeneFuzz (Op-Amp Muff inspired)
- Nerdknuckle Effects Martyr Box Overdrive
- Old Blood Noise Endeavors Black Fountain Oil Can Delay
- Old Blood Noise Endeavors Excess Distortion/Chorus
- Old Blood Noise Endeavors Flat Light Flanger
- Old Blood Noise Endeavors Haunt V1 Fuzz
- Orange Crush Mini 3watt practice amp w/ built in tuner
- Rainger AS-I Air Space Invader Envelope Filter
- Red Panda Bitmap Ring Mod/Bit Crusher
- Red Panda Context Reverb V1 (Limited Edition Blue Sparkle finish)
- Red Panda Particle V1 Granular Delay
- Red Panda Tensor Time stretching reverse ta[e emulator
- S&K CMO Sludge Sunn Beta Lead style distortion/fuzz
- smallSound BIG sound F#@! Overdrive
- smallSound BIG sound Team Awesome! Fuzz
- TC Electronics Polytune 2 Mini tuner
- TWA Hot Sake Distortion
- Walrus Audio Iron Horse V2 Distortion
- ZVEX Basstortion (SVT themed tube distortion for the bass players!)
- ZVEX Box of Metal Hand painted custom Jane Doe artwork
- ZVEX Woolly Mammoth Hand painted Maria Paternoster collaboration
Accessories & Books
- Ebow Electronic Bow
- Patch & Tweak Book
- Pedal Crush Book
- Push Turn Move Book
- Bass Strings
- Guitar Strings
- Patch Cables
- Music in the Time of Quarantine
Much like you, we are doing our best to stay home, stay safe, and keep positive.
It has taken some time to figure how best to move forward. Is that even possible? Well, we gotta try.
So much of what Stompbox Sonic does hinges on face-to-face consultations and community events with builders & musicians. So we need a new way, a more digital, less tangible way of doing that. So stay tuned. Before long we’ll have some online ways to bring the effects- lovin’-sound-craftin’ people together.
In the meantime here are some resources if you need help or are looking to help:
- Art is Alive
- Boston Music Maker Fund
- Boston Artist Relief Fund
- Future of Music Coalition
- NAMM: COVID-19 Resources
- 2019 Most Requested
These are the items most requested at Sound Tastings and private effects consultations:
- Favorite Music 2019
Here is just a small sampling of the music we’ve enjoyed this year.
Where’s the Buy It Now button?The web is teeming with online retailers: Music Toyz, PGS, Reverb, etc. These knowledgeable sellers with a wide range of gear are ready to ship almost anywhere.
Our approach is more personalized, more collaborative, focusing on the creative process. Our services are highly individualized. Sound Tastings, Consultations and Sales are conducted in person, at our space, in local recording studios or venues.
More than just selling you a single pedal or instrument we help you find your sound.